About Me

My photo
check out my new blog: EJ's Kitchen-- www.ejturk.blogspot.com

18 May 2009

Another couple rainy day outings...

Believe it or not, the weather here has actually been quite lovely. It just seems to be lovely and sunny and warm when I or Alistair are working all day... and it seems our last few days off together where we've actually planned to do something have turned out to be overcast and rainy. Go figure. :-)

Important Day#1: May 4, 2009
I got my 'Landed Immigrant' status from Canadian Immigration, which makes me officially a permanent resident of B.C. It means I can now do everything I would normally do in the States, or as a Canadian, except I don't have a Canadian passport and I can't vote. But it means I can apply to teach here in B.C. and it means I can be enrolled in the healthcare plan and all kinds of other very exciting things... :-)

I had my immigration 'interview' downtown (which really amounted to a pile of people in a room, called up individually to confirm that the document was correct...). Afterwards, Alistair and I decided to explore a new part of Vancouver, and walked False Creek, which is a long, narrow inlet off of Burrard Bay. There is a walking path all the way from Stanley Park, along False Creek that goes almost the whole way to UBC... all in all the trail is really long, but we just walked the main portion. It was a great day, but I don't have pictures from it because I forgot to change the batteries in the camera.

Important day #2: May 18, 2009 (Victoria Day)
As it was a holiday, Alistair and I had the day off, and we took a walk in Fort Langley on the "Fort-to-fort Trail" that wanders its way along the mighty Frasier River from historic Fort Langley to the original Fort Langley site (all that's left of the original is one large 'cornerstone'). It was overcast and rained a little, but we had a really nice walk and enjoyed the time together.

Important day #3: June 6, 2009
I organized my first Women's Event for the church as the new Head of Women's Minsitries. I planned a hike/ nature walk on a trail loop that starts and ends at the parking lot at the original Fort Langley site and takes about an hour to walk. Then a picnic afterwards on the bank of the Frasier River. All week long, we had beautiful, sunny, even hot weather, and Saturday morning, I awoke to cool temperatures and overcast skies that seemed threatening to rain. I could not believe it. It actually worked well in our favor, as the hike was extremely comfortable (not too hot) and by the time we started the picnic, there was a little bit of sunshine peaking through the clouds. It was a small turnout, but a wonderful time of bonding for us.
*equally important event on this day: my Permanent Residency card arrived in the mail!

I've taken lots of pictures lately, mostly of scenery. I'm including some of my favorites. All of these are in "my backyard"/ my 'playground' in and around Langley. I'm really enjoying taking pictures these days and I'm trying to convince Alistair to buy me a nice digital SLR camera so I can maximize my photography! :-) Someday...




(in picture #5, if you look carefully, you can see a heron and his reflection)

So,what do you think??

4 comments:

  1. Great pics! I would like to see your playground someday.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pictures are very good, you don't need a fancy camera! I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun! I like the sunset w/ barn in foreground best. I am glad to see you enjoying the area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, Erin, those picture are fantastic! The second one wowed me and I love pic #3; reminds me of where I come from :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive